Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Week Seven GAME Plan

Throughout the process of developing a GAME plan I have found that by setting small goals which are easily attainable and then working towards larger goals I find myself more motivated and am greeted with greater success. My students are the same way- when they are able to see the small steps leading up to a larger goal they are more motivated to keep with the goal than to give it up if they don't meet it immediately.

When asking my students to develop a GAME plan I think a better idea for my elementary students is to develop a class goal rather than individual ones. The class can then work together to develop the goal and the action steps needed to fulfill it. As the year progresses the students can begin to develop their own goals, but until they are taught this they need guidance and practice. The students can then help each other throughout the GAME plan process so that the students are working as a team toward the goal rather than as individuals.

One area in which I have concerns about creating a GAME plan to meet the NETS-S standards is the lack of time and technology we have in our school. We can develop a goal and even steps to achieve it, but having faulty technology and only a thirty minute per week time slot in the computer lab makes it difficult to achieve all that the NETS-S have outlined. The NETS-S standards are a great idea, but until time and technological equality find their way into the classroom it may be difficult to implement.

3 comments:

  1. Without the efficient tools, it's hard to have the actual hands on experience! I think setting small goals are more attainable. I find when I set my goals to high, I set myself up to fail. But yes, unless you have an usually gifted computer whiz kid, I would set goals as a class-especially for younger students and like you said, they can eventually start setting their own goals as the become more comfortable and proficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great idea to make one class goal, rather than individual goals because your students are so young. My idea for my second graders was to help each student create their own goal(s), but after reading your idea, I would much rather create one goal for the class. I think it's more practical and time efficient. Also, I like the idea of students collaborating to achieve the same goal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collaborating as a team to achieve common goals sound like a good plan to me. Many times when our students help each other understand what they need to do in order to achieve a goal, more and better things get done. Working as a team is a skill we all must learn as it something that we will continue to use for the rest of our lives.

    I agree with you that starting small is good, that way the opportunity to be successful is greater. But it is always good to raise the bar to push ourselves to become better at what we do. If the hard things were easier everybody will do them. But only those who try harder are the ones who can achieve more.

    It is a shame that your students can only go to the computer lab for 30 minutes a week. Even if you have a vision for technology integration, it seems that the technology gap keeps getting bigger and bigger for some students. Good luck following your GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete