Saturday, April 4, 2009

Technology Survey

This week I had the opportunity to learn more about my students' use of technology at home and at school. I created a survey which would gage student interest, time on the computer, access to video games, and potential uses in the classroom. My third graders were eager to tell me about their experiences and it is clear that they are motivated and excited about using technology in the classroom.

Demographics
The school in which I teach is rural-turning-suburban elementary school with a demographic make-up of about 90% caucasin students (http:www.greatschools.net, 2008). About 18% of our students come from socio-economically disadavantaged homes (http:www.greatschools.net, 2008) and our school recieves Title I funding from the state. While our numbers of socio-economically students is lower than the state average there is still a disparity amongst access of technology for my students.

After giving the survey to my students one thing became clear. Many of my students are what Prensky calls "digital natives" (Prensky, 2001). These students have an interest and a desire to use technology and are becoming more savvy with computers at any earlier age. Please listen to the my Podcast to learn the results of my survey.

*Note* The blog heading is the hyperlink to my audio file.


Citations

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/oh/district_profile/127?schoolId=1214#from..Tab

Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants. On the Horizon, 9(5).

No comments:

Post a Comment